Today we are talking about UPS in this article. What is UPS? What is the full form of UPS? How does UPS work? Types of UPS? Importance of UPS? And so on. You will find complete information about UPS in this article.
If you are a computer user then you must have heard the name of UPS and must have used UPS as well. But do you know its full name? What is the full form of UPS? Today we are providing complete information about UPS.
What is UPS? (What is UPS?)
It is used when the electric power supply is turned off. When the main electric power supply is turned off, the UPS is used to supply power to another device.
UPS In English “Unobstructed Power supply “ It is said. It is a device that ensures a sufficient supply of electricity for a limited time to an electric powered device even when the power supply is not available from the main source of supply. – Wikipedia
The UPS supplies power to the computer or other electronic device for some time even in the event of the main power supply failing. For this, there is a battery inside the UPS, which provides electricity to the computer for some time (short time period – 15 to 20 min) even when the power is lost.
Suppose a user is doing some important work on the computer and suddenly the power is cut, then in such a situation he will have to eat a lot, he may face problems like data loss and hardware damage.
What is the full form of UPS?
Full form of UPS “Uninterrupted Power Supply “ happens. And its full form In English “uninterruptible power supply” happens.
This means, by using this device we can get an alternative power source. This device provides a continuous interruption-free power supply to the user.
Types of UPS?
Now let us know what types of UPS are there. There are many types of UPS available in the market. Let us know about all types of UPS in detail.
Standby is the most common type of UPS. This type of UPS is used in personal computers. First, it charges itself through main power. And when the main power is cut, it supplies the consumed power to the computer.
Line Interactive UPS is used in small businesses and servers. It is completely different from standby UPS. The function of such a UPS is to provide the proper voltage when the voltage is high or low.
This UPS works in two ways, first is to regulate the voltage properly, and second, by charging yourself through main power, providing a power supply to the computer when power is cut.
Standby Online Hybrid
This type of UPS is also called on-line ups. These ups are used within 10 kva. This means that only 10 kva hybrid is used in standby on-line hybrid UPS.
Along with this, the standby converter switch is also turned on. And compared to line interactive ups in this type of UPS, the battery charging charger is smaller.
Double conversion on-line
Double Conversion UPS is a standard and common type of ups, they are used above 10kva. It is known from the name that it converts after two.
The first input rectifier in the Double Conversion UPS converts AC power to DC power. And then feeds it to the output inverter.
After this, the output inverter in the second stage converts DC power again to AC power and supplies power to the connected device or equipment.
Delta Conversion On-Line
Delta Conversion UPS is an advanced type of UPS. It has been made by upgrading by improving double conversion ups. Also, the limitations and disadvantages of double-conversion ups have been removed.
Delta Technology has used such technology in UPS, which saves energy by carrying a package between the starting and ending point. And also simultaneously maintains the voltage of the line UPS properly.
What is the function of UPS?
Let’s know point-wise, what are the functions of UPS.
- The UPS supplies the computer with the main power cut.
- UPS also keeps alerting the computer in inefficient condition.
- This protects the computer from short circuits.
- It controls the power from the unstable source.
- It works by shutting down the computer correctly and giving battery to the computer.
- It provides protection against any kind of damage to the computer.
How does UPS work?
A UPS works with the help of three units, the first is the rectifier, the second is the battery and the third is the inverter. Which is inbuild inside UPS.
First of all, the job of the rectifier is to input AC current from the main electric power into UPS. In this process, the first AC current is input inside the UPS. After this, the rectifier converts that AC current to DC current.
Since a DC current is required to charge the battery, the rectifier converts the AC voltage to DC and stores the DC current in the battery.
With the help of a rectifier, DC current is stored in the battery, due to which the battery is charged. The role of the battery is the highest in UPS because the current is stored in the battery, due to which UPS is later able to supply power to the computer.
When the main power is cut, the power stored in the battery is not supplied in the direct computer, because the current stored in the battery is the DC current. Whereas the computer needs AC current. That’s why UPS requires inverters. Which again converts the DC power stored in the battery to AC current.
With the help of an inverter, the current stored in the UPS battery is converted from DC voltage to AC voltage. The inverter starts working when the main power is cut. As soon as the power is cut, the inverter immediately supplies power to the computer by converting the current in the battery to AC.
Difference between UPS and Inverter?
The work of both UPS and Inverter is the same. The task of both is to supply power after the power is cut off. So in this situation, it is very important to know what is the difference between UPS and inverters. Let’s know:
- The inverter is capable of carrying the load of the entire house supply. Whereas UPS is designed to supply computers only. If you connect UPS with the home supply, then it will not be able to work.
- When the main power supply is cut, the inverter also shuts down for a few microseconds, and then supplies the power back up to the entire house, if the computer is connected to the inverter then your computer will shut down in the same microsecond. At the same time, power backup in UPS is done very fast. The UPS does not shut down when power is cut and supplies power directly to the computer. Due to this the computer also keeps running smoothly.
- Backups of the inverter are much higher than that of UPS. The inverter supplies 7 to 8 hours of backup to the entire house, while UPS gives backup only by computer and its backup time is only 15 to 20 minutes.
- Talking about maintenance, there is no maintenance required in UPS while the inverter reads the need to replace the battery every 2 years, and also reads the water from time to time.
- There is also a big difference between the two in terms of investment. UPS is available in the market between 1500 and 3000. While for inverters, 15000 to 20000 have to be charged.
Benefits of using UPS?
- The computer does not shut down when a power cut occurs suddenly, and it supplies the consumed power to the computer.
- With the use of UPS, there is no risk of loss of files and data of the computer due to power cut.
- It controls the power affected in the computer.
- It provides balanced electricity power in the computer.
- This protects the computer from loss due to current fluctuation.
- UPS protects the computer from a sudden shut down so that there is no risk of damage to the computer.
- It gives a lot of support to the user during an emergency. If the user is doing something that has only 15 minutes left, and suddenly the power is cut, then at such a time, ups work like a good power source.
Disadvantages of using UPS?
- To use UPS, the first one has to buy UPS from the market, in which there is an extra investment.
- UPS is used according to infrastructure. In such a situation, it is important to understand where the ups are used.
- Different types of UPS are available in the market, which is also very expensive.
- If there is a large infrastructure, more battery and larger UPS have to be used.
- Its battery needs maintenance from time to time.
- Its battery deteriorates after some time.